Friday, February 19, 2010

Where Do You Get Your Programming?

This thought came to me today as I was reading a workbook that has some tools that I can utilize for programming my Spinning Classes. It is perfectly natural for all of us, including us professionals, to acquire different thoughts on programming through different forms of networking. I love getting new ideas and reading and going to conferences and even working with my coaches. All of these resources help me be a better coach and a better athlete.

Where do you get your programming?
There are many sources that may or may not be advisable.

Various health and fitness magazines publish programs frequently, or a generic program can be purchased on line. The problem with these generic programs is just that: they are generic. The programmer has never met you and you, the purchaser assumes the responsibility. The workout program may not be appropriate for you; too advanced and it may cause injury or may create frustration and drop out.

I recently read the Sparticus Workout and the BootCamp (published in two different sources) and after reading each of these-- pretty solid programs. The boot camp was created for the actors that are in the series by a coach working with these men. The Sparticus Workout was promoted as the workout that you too can do to get the bodies of these actors.
And I read the workout. It is a pretty comprehensive program-- I wouldn't mind doing it once and a while for a challenge-- but it a very challenging program.

Unfortunately these published protocols don't always remind the reader the level of programming and that it may not be appropriate for all individuals, nor do they provide other options if it is too difficult.

The other trend is videos. For me personally, I would never workout to a video--- BORING!!!!
I hate being inside.... I haven't figured out how people can spend so much time in front of a television even if only to workout... but if it works for you... be certain that the video provides options-- higher and lower intensities, to keep you safe.


Another form of programming is on-line training. I have mixed feelings about this, although I do train clients and create programming on-line. I prefer to see my athletes face to face... but that is not always possible. IN that, we do the best we can.


If I am programming for an athlete, programming is done on a weekly basis, with monthly objectives in mind. A weekly contact is necessary... and I am available throughout the week for all my athletes. The more available the programmer is... the more confidence the athlete (you) will have with yourself and the programming.


Where do you get your programming? If you are not getting the results you desire, one of the problems might be your programming source. It might be something that needs to be changed.... When you are doing a program that is written specifically for you, it is pretty amazing what changes you can see in your overall appearance and performance. All of us need a coach at some time in our fitness/athletic career.

Perhaps, now is the time for you to make that investment?







1 comment: