Monday, February 15, 2010

Training for Endurance is an Acquired Taste.

I am a runner. Always have been; always will be. And sometimes, I bike, swim, kayak, and play with some form of resistance training. My hero that inspired me to run track was Edwin Moses, the greatest hurdler of all time.... (sorry, new hurdlers... you don't hold a candle to his accomplishments). I remember the day I met my hero.... I was embarrassed to go speak with him, but he was honored to meet me. Alas, I digress..... the point is, he inspired me to continue running.

I was a sprinter/middle distance runner at the time-- tackling the 400 and the 800m -- pretty fast if I do say so myself.... and well, I remember being asked to take one for the team and run the 1600m.... (4 laps around the track?!?-- what was I thinking? and to run it fast??? Seriously coach, whatever drugs you are taking, you need to stop!!!!) But I ran the 1600m and I ran it well... earned some points for the team.

AT THE TIME, I SWORE I WOULD NEVER RUN MORE THAN 800m EVER AGAIN....

(be careful what you wish for!)
That fall I was running cross-country-- what????? (someone thought it would help with my off-season conditioning for track-- now, that i am a coach.... i agree and disagree on the training thoughts).

So, here I am now in 2010.... training for and running half marathons, marathons and triathlons.... making a comeback after my cycling accident...
the gods must be crazy!!!

I was thinking about my personal athletic journey through track and field this morning as I was reading Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.

He was discussing weight-loss. I am currently in the process of a weight-loss journey, as I have been struggling since my cycling accident. I went from volume extremely high-- prepping for IronMan qualification to Volume non-existant.... the worst case scenario for maintaining body weight/fat. And well, I am currently rebuilding volumes and prepping for my first full-racing season.... still working on the deets.... post-cycling accident. It has been a long journey, but the weight is starting to drop as my volume is increasing.

IN the book, Fitzgerald says that "Training for Endurance is an Acquired Taste." While a fabulous way to shed body fat and lose body weight, individuals who begin a program solely for the purpose of losing weight, will drop out quickly. Individuals must find a sport that is loved.

My sport is running. I have since added swimming-- became a lifeguard. Needed to swim for more than recreation. Encouraged to do triathlons.... I loved rowing and kayaking-- so, i did lifeguard competitions.... still encouraged to do tris... the bike??? I couldn't figure it out. I hated it. It was too hard..... and yet, the summer I took on a job at a basketball camp, I decided that I was going to ride my bike (16speed that I had bought seemingly a century before-- my fav training bike, that was retired after it was involved in my cycling accident) to and from work-- 15miles one way, daily... five days a week for 6 weeks. (What drugs was I taking???)

I learned by stepping in the fire how to ride.... there was an ugly hill that went on forever...... the first day I had to walk it and by the end of the 6 weeks, I would tackle it like it wasn't there, I had conquered the hill...... and my love of biking began. Amazing what a little madness will do!!!!!!

So for me, I have the sports.... I love doing these activities. I would rather train outside any day of the week... and for the record, I hate cardio on machines-- except the concept II rower-- i could do that all day!!!

What about the person who doesn't have a sport or activity she loves? If the emphasis is not on the sport-- prepping for a 5k, then a 10k or something else, the focus could be on the weight loss goal, and interest is lost easily. After all, there are many other competitors vying for attention.... such as the 'quick workout' at your local gym.

If you want a great body, you have to work for it.
If you want to be great in a sport, you have to practice and train!
(great is relative-- what is your goal for personal greatness?)


If you are just seeking weight loss through running, the running will be boring!


And sometimes it is.....
but the rewards are too great to be missed.....

Rewards like crossing the finish line, making a PR, fitting in jeans you forgot you had in the back of the closet, seeing your six-pack start to form, knowing you can run x miles, knowing how great you look after a workout, running into classmates who look old, getting a new pair of sneakers or shorts, race t-shirts, or whatever your reward might be....


Develop the taste for the sport you love!



My sport will always be running, (followed by swimming, rowing/kayaking, and biking). I love sharing my story. I have some medals stashed away in a drawer.... 23 gold, 2 white gold, 3 bronze.... pretty cool, huh?




If you need help finding yours, I am here to help you. Perhaps, I will meet you on the road. Until then, keep doing the sport you love.


No comments:

Post a Comment