Sunday, February 21, 2010

Regardless of where you finish, you are a winner.....

This is a challenging concept for me at times. What do you mean, I win if I cross the finish line dead last? I did the 3-Day Walk this past summer-- that clearly is about the journey, not being first. And while I did gain a great deal from that experience, the competitor in me steps up quite a bit... the need to win is very clear in my thoughts. (I am learning as I coach, to emphasize different aspects of the victory, but I truly struggle with this at times).

My friend Lori (@slorunnermom) has told me many times... that you are still a runner regardless of when you cross the finish line. (Her experience in running is much different from mine, but her determination and drive is that of a champion. She is an inspiration to me as I am returning to the competition circuit).

Thank you, Lori. This is for you. (as quoted from The Runner's Daily Inspiration Book)


'I think there is too much emphasis placed on the distinction between the people in the front and the people in the back. I happen to feel that the sensations are exactly the same for all of us.' -- Kenny Moore, marathoner and writer.

A runner is a runner is a runner. Even if you are a two-legged traffic jam, you're still a runner. You can take pride in that.

The important thing is that you're out there giving it your all, even if your all isn't as much as someone else's. As a runner, you're probably in better physical shape than most of the non-runners you meet. That alone raises you into the ranks of the elite.

As you continue to run, it's natural to focus more on times and the other runners in the pack and how you stack up against them. Just don't let that overwhelm the simple knowledge of why you run and what brought you to it in the first place. Ultimately what matters is not when you cross the finish line buy how you get there and what it means to you when you do.

There's an old saying: It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters; it's the size of the fight in the dog. Ditto for runners. A runner who finishes 5,000th can show more heart, more pluck, and more gritty determination than the runner who finishes 5th.

And that's what's so great about this arguably odd, sometimes lonely, utterly compelling pursuit. It's very democratic. The joy of it is freely available to all.



Lori, when I make it back to the podium, you will be right there with me. Thank you for reminding me daily that it is about how you run, and not how you finish.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete