Friday, January 1, 2010

Motivation vs Knowledge

'I have found that encouraging people to exercise when they have not expressed the desire is useless. It has been my experience that the average person needs a source of inspiration more than a source of information.' ---Dr Max L Irick, physcian


Ain't this the truth?
As a fitness professional and coach, I can share countless tidbits and anecdotes and studies that have information on why and when and how we should exercise, what we should eat and how much water we should drink. And some people will take this information and do something with it, while others say well that's nice or take offense and walk or maybe even run in the other direction.

In this, I have reflected greatly on my interpersonal relationships with clients and potential clients. (Having done some work with Mary Kay, I got turned off b/c my director kept telling me I need to see everyone as a client and everyone as a potential sale. My response was and when as a business owner do I get ME-TIME!)

And in my coaching business, I have become pretty selfish in that respect. I demand ME-TIME! And I am willing to share my knowledge and expertise...... but the Me-Time is necessary so that I can give my best to my clients and be the best for me.

I have also learned from my friend @footdr69, that she is more motivated by her desire to beat my daily steps, than all the numbers and calculations i have in my head to help her achieve her fitness goals. But because we have the common goal of taking a daily step count, she is more open to my answering questions that will help her accomplish these goals. Motivation has become a source of information.

This has taught me that while I have a bizillion letters after my name and strive to stay on top of my education and continue to learn more to be the best coach I can be, I need to be a motivator. I need to know how to get people moving. I need to know how to challenge someone to push herself to walk more steps in a day, train for a race whether a 5k or a marathon, to lift the 10#, 15# or 50# dumb bell, or drink water over soda. I need to motivate this individual so the knowledge I have gained from studies means something.

My clients need to be challenged and motivated and when they know I can do this, they are then interested in what I have to say.


So, I challenge you to be the best you can be this year in fitness.

What is it you are setting out to accomplish?



Here are some of my goals for 2010:

-run a marathon with my cousin for fun
-run 500km
-take at least 10,000 steps every day
-be active every day

-start my second master's degree
-expand my presenting/educating network
-build a sense of community with my clients
-do something with the manual therapy skills i have gained.

I look forward to hearing about your goals and what motivates you.
Remember, I am here to help you accomplish these goals.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete